Friday, November 02, 2007

Welcome to the New Household Hacks

Welcome to the new, revamped Household Hacks blog. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, the Geekis domesticus will bring you original articles on hacking your home, along with easy projects using common household items and helpful hints for better living through tinkering. I also fully expect to chronicle further run-ins with the Plumbing Fairies, malevolent beings who feed on copper, PVC and despair. They are semi-regular fixtures at my house.

I'm a Geekis domesticus, a species of geek that thrives in the domestic sphere. If you believe the reaction of my family to learning that I enjoy gardening, canning, and cooking from scratch, I was something of a feral geek in my early years. They are, by the way, somewhat less surprised at my love of dissecting dead electronics, considering that I may have inadvertently killed a few of their small appliances in my feral years. The domestication of the geek came when me and my co-geek bought our own house. There's something about it being my house that just cries out for me to start hacking it, although much of the content here can be adapted to those who have concerns about security deposits

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I make electronic flowers out of dead bulbs. Currently im trying to make a graphic equalizer for my cd player using colored lightbulbs. I love having weird conversations with people too..and i recongize patterns everyhwhere